Friday, July 15, 2011

Nash's Nursery










I had every intention of having Nash's nursery all ready for him by June 17. However, he had other plans of arriving 3 and 1/2 weeks early, so I didn't exactly get it all completed in the time I wanted to.
Now, two months later it is all complete! And I have to say, it is freakin' cute.
Sometimes, I surprise myself with my sense of style and design.

First, I started with the great colors of blue, green and orange. Then I found this fantastic fabric that had all these cute owls on it and thought that would be a really fun nursery. I really didn't know that owls were all the rage. I am sure that everyone copied me though and I was the first one to think of the owl theme. With those fabrics my very talented grandmother hand quilted his darling quilt. I mean seriously, hand stitched every inch of it and I love that he doesn't have bed in a bag bedding like most other babies.

I am so glad we bought the crib first and that the rest of the motif happened to look fantastic with it. Isaac refinished his dresser that his dad had made for him when he was born 25 years ago. I was a little skeptical at how it would look, but after a lot of hours and love, it turned out really cute.

The art work my grammy made for him. We saw these really fabulous prints on Etsy that she used as inspiration and created these wonderful mixed media pieces for his room. So darling.

I had purchased a changing table and then thought that it was a stupid piece of furniture. I mean, he would use it a maximum of 3 years. I figure after a few months we will change a diaper anywhere we need to, so really, how much use was it going to get? Then I had the brilliant idea of this bookcase from Ikea. Super cute and versatile, I could use it for a changing table, storage, decor (because of the darling green storage bins) and once he is out of diapers, it will still get a lot of use. Sometimes my genius is astounding.

The large tree with the two little owls is a decal, believe it or not! My co-workers from my last job purchased it for me as a shower gift. I am so grateful because it was more $$$ than I wanted to spend, but it was just SO perfect.

The little decor items have a story too. The fabulous orange tree on his dresser his Auntie Shante (she is one of my dearest friends) found it for his baby shower. I begged her to give it to me until she finally gave in and did! She also was kind enough to set up a lot of Nash's room while I was in the hospital birthing him. Aren't great friends worth a million?! Anyway, the little owl that is in the tree is from his Great Grandma who hand made it along with the darling owl hat. The owl hat he wore in his first photos that turned out darling.

Finally, the mobile. My mom and I had this great idea to make this mobile we saw on Etsy. We just finished it two weeks ago. Still haven't hung it yet, but as soon as he is in his crib, it will be hung.

Well, I would love to know what everyone thinks of the room.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's adorable! You did an excellent job! I can only hope ours is a quarter as cute! Your genius astounds me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out solo cute and I love the artitoc contributions of his grandmas.

    ReplyDelete