Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Girl Has Needs


Before I became a parent I took very good care of myself. Regular hair appointments, pedicures, new clothes, nails, perfume, regular exercise.............you get the picture.
However, with the birth of my wonderful son, you could say that I let myself slip a little. In fact, I didn't wear a stitch of makeup until he was 6 weeks old.
Yesterday, I got a pedicure with my darling 10 month pregnant girlfriend. I left the nail salon with a glowing smile, coral pink toes, and perfectly manicured cuticles. It felt FABULOUS! I came home and put on some earrings. Then I thought "Why not?!" and I spritzed some of my favorite perfume, put on a nice blouse and for a moment was released from the world of spit up and dirty diapers. I felt like a woman W-O-M-A-N! Therefore, I have complied a list of what every girl needs, whether she is single, married, mom, or empty nester.
1. A pedicure in the summer time
2. A perfume that fits you so well, it doesn't really smell like perfume. (If you don't know what I am talking about, please head to the nearest Nordstrom and begin spritzing yourself with fragrance to find out what I mean.)
3. A blouse that makes you feel amazing, even if you still wear maternity pants.
4. An Ipod loaded with songs that makes you want to twirl about.
5. At least one pair of Fan-freaking-tastic earrings, or a bracelet or a necklace.
6. Mascara that makes your eyelashes look, at least, 3 times as long as they really are.
And last, but probably the most important, a place to walk into with your head held high and a sass in your step that says "Of course you can check me out. I am sexy, smart and incredible."
My place happened to be Wal-Mart because I was out of diapers, but hey I am pretty sure Trevor the Checker appreciated a beautiful woman at his checkstand.

2 comments: